H2 Valcamonica Project
H2 Valcamonica project will be an important step towards the ambitious goal of creating the first Italian green hydrogen valley. The main innovative element is the creation of the first regionally integrated supply chain for the production, storage, distribution, and commercialization of green hydrogen for both transport, mobility and logistic sectors and Energy Intensive Industries (EIIs). The technologies involved are an electrolyser for hydrogen production, a storage and compression system (to store the hydrogen at the production site), and a storage system functional to the distribution point (to allow refuelling of trains at the station).
The energy needed to produce hydrogen will be supplied by renewable energy produced by the waste-to-energy power plant of Brescia. The site will produce a forecasted 830 tonnes per year of hydrogen, based on 43 870 MWh of electricity and 16 600 m3 of water.
The project aims to implement low-carbon technologies and processes to replace traditional fossil fuels in both the transport and industrial sectors. The project contributes to the fight against climate change by avoiding GHG emissions through hydrogen produced based on renewable energy instead of fossil fuels; storing hydrogen to decouple energy production and consumption and decarbonising the railway transport by replacing fossil fuels. he project will avoid 42 295 tCO2e net absolute emissions during the first 10 years of operation, representing almost 100% of GHG emitted by a conventional technology.
H2 Valcamonica is co-founded by the European Union through the Innovation Fund Programme.
Project Acronym: H2 Valcamonica
Project Name: Green hydrogen for the decarbonisation of Valcamonica
Project number: 101038880
Project coordinator: A2A SPA
Project beneficiaries: SNAM S.P.A, FNM SPA
Project coordinator’s contact: Lorenzo Privitera (Lorenzo.email@example.com)
Funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or CINEA. Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.
The GreenHyseo Project is part of “H2iseO: a Hydrogen valley for sustainable mobility”, an iconic project promoted by FNM S.p.A., that aims at creating in Valcamonica (in the North-East of Italy) the first Italian Hydrogen Valley and decarbonizing rail and bus transport in the area.
FNM will introduce a green hydrogen-powered fleet of 14 trains (6 trains by 2024 and the remaining 8 trains by 2025) and of 40 hydrogen powered buses (scheduled by 2025). The project also includes the construction of hydrogen production plants, including distribution and related refuelling stations:
– a hydrogen production, storage, and distribution plant in the city of Iseo, using the Steam Methane Reforming (SMR) technology starting from biomethane, with a production capacity of about 1,400 kgH2/day, which is able also to capture and store the CO2 produced during the hydrogen production process thanks to the innovative addition of CCS technology
– one or two further hydrogen production, storage and distribution plants using electrolysis, with a capacity of about 1,000-1,400 kgH2/day in the cities of Brescia and Edolo.
The focus of the GreenHyseO project is on the CCS technology for the Iseo hydrogen production plant. Specifically, the project plans not only to produce hydrogen to fuel the trains and bus fleets but to make the process greener by capturing the CO2 thus obtaining a significant GHG emission avoidance.
Type of action: InnovFund-LS
Proposal number: 101038823
Proposal acronym: GreenHyseO
Duration (months): 72
Proposal title: GeenHyseO: hydrogen for sustainable mobility and circular energy in Valcamonica
Project Coordinator: FNM S.p.A.
Project Beneficiaries: FERROVIENORD S.p.A.
Project Coordinator’s Contact: Stefano Erba (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Project Awarder the “Project Development Assistance” Support form BEI
CarE-Service project is a H2020 large scale demonstration project funded under the agreement No 776851. The goal of the project is to prove at large scale the feasibility of new circular economy technologies and business models for the End-Of-Life of Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles (E&HEVs), that enable the offering of new highly customized and performance-based mobility services for European citizens. Such services and business models will affect customers’ behaviours and will drastically change the current End-of- Life vehicles value-chain towards sustainability.
The main objectives of CarE-Service are:
• Establish three new circular European value chains for the re-use, remanufacturing and selective recycling of high added-value parts of E&HEVs: batteries, metals, and techno-polymeric components.
• Generate new service markets for the sustainable mobility of European citizens. New services will rely on the exploitation of the opportunities of circular economy on the one hand and will be a necessary market for the long-term sustainability of circular business models on the other.
• Demonstrate at European scale the economic, social, and environmental sustainability of new circular technologies, business models and services, considering potential drawbacks and side effects.
• Create the conditions for a European wide exploitation of results.
ERTMS for Lombardy fleet Project
ERTMS ” European Rail Traffic Management System” is an European signalling standard that allows trains from different countries to circulate on all European lines that are equipped with and is capable of guaranteeing safe circulation of trains adopting innovative state of the art technologies.
The Action covers the equipment of ERTMS B3 On-Board Units (OBUs) on 143 Vehicles operating on regional lines in Lombardy and Switzerland. The European contribution will finance 286 On-Board Units that will be equipped on the following vehicles:
1. TILO: 18 On-Board Units for 9 EMUs – 3kV/15kV supplied by Stadler, equipped with Siemens on board system Type ETCS BL3 + SCMT, operating both in Lombardy and Switzerland (Ticino).
2. CARAVAGGIO: 172 On-Board Units for 86 EMUs (4 or 5 cars 3kV EMU) supplied by Hitachi, equipped with Hitachi STS on board system Type ETCS BL3 + SCMT.
3. DONIZETTI: 44 On-Board Units for 22 EMUs (4 cars 3kV EMU) supplied by Alstom and equipped with Alstom on board system Type ETCS BL3 + SCMT.
4. COLLEONI: 52 On-Board Units for 26 DMUs (3 cars DMU) supplied by Stadler, equipped with an on board Angelstar Type ETCS BL3 + SCMT/SSC.
These trains will be the first regional trainsets to be equipped with ERTMS, the most advanced railway safety technology in Europe.
The Action is part of the global project covering ERTMS deployment in Italy and will increase the safety, capacity, and interoperability of the railway transport in the Lombardy region.
Agreement number: INEA/CEF/TRAN/M2019/2080934
Action No: 2019-IT-TM-0080-W
Total EU Contribution 7.150.000,00 €
I-SharE LIFE Project
I SharE LIFE – Innovative sharing solutions for full electric travels in small medium size urban areas
FNM coordinates, in partnership with ASSTRA, E-Vai, Nordcom, Poliedra, Dyvolve and the Croatian city of Osijek, the European project of sustainable mobility I-SharE LIFE. I-SharE LIFE foresees the experimentation of different models of electric car sharing services in order to verify their technological, environmental and economic sustainability in medium and small urban areas. The cities involved are Busto Arsizio, Bollate, Bergamo, Como and Osijek. This project has received funding from the European Union’s LIFE programme under Grant Agreement n.° LIFE17 ENV/IT/000212 I-SharE LIFE.
Find out more.